Saturday, January 8, 2011

Where'd You Get Your Inspiration?

There are many different ways that people say they get inspired...for some people, it's a picture they see, or a person they meet, or something else like that. I've been inspired to write something from those things, or maybe just a random thought floating around my mind. The inspiration for "A Mother for the Seasonings" came from a thought that it would be neat to have a family all named after herbs. Doesn't sound like much, but I was able to build a whole story off of that! So what sorts of things inspire you?
One thing I've decided to do, is to write down ideas whenever I get them...almost like a writing scrapbook, where I can scribble ideas for poems, stories, whatever, and go back later to choose one to try out! Several famous authors have done the same. In fact, Lucy Maud Montgomery came back to one of her writing ideas that said, "red-haired orphan girl comes to live with elderly couple" (or something along those lines) and from that simple description came the beloved Anne of Green Gables! :)
An idea may not seem like much when it comes along, but write each one down, and see what comes of them someday! :) ~Rachel

1 comment:

I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud said...

I get inspiration from much the same things. I have a note book in which I jot down ideas for storys and poems and sketch ideas for paintings.
I often am inspired by something I read, from something someone says, from a thought and from feelings invoked by a smell, something I see or hear.

It's amazing isn't it how we get inspired and the feeling of being inspired!