Monday, October 21, 2013

Are we to have a Watson?

Some people are intolerable, drubbing boors. And then you have A.A. Milne who has so much sensible back-chat to say about everything that my opinion for him grows by leaps and bounds:

"Are we to have a Watson? We are. Death to the author who keeps his unraveling for the last chapter, making all the others chapters but a prologue to a five-minute drama. This is no way to write a story. :Let us know from chapter to chapter what the detective is thinking. For this he must watsonize, or soliloquize; the one is merely a dialogue form of the other; and, by that, more readable. A Watson, then, but not of necessity a fool of a Watson. A little slow, let him be, as so many of us are but friendly, human, likeable."
-A.A. Milne speaking on the subject of detective fiction
Oh for more people like the creator Winnie-the-Pooh. I want to marry someone who makes up words like "watsonize"; such a man would be a wonderful companion. Or perhaps what I need--being the one who already makes up words--is a man who will laugh at me and put the word into circulation.

4 comments:

Elisabeth Grace Foley said...

Watsonize! Oh, why isn't that in the dictionary? Do you suppose Milne would mind if we used it? :)

Along these Watsonian lines, have you read his The Red House Mystery yet?

Rachel Heffington said...

I have NOT! I can't seem to find it and I hate reading things online. I am beginning a book list of things I want to buy once I get some money and that is going FOREMOST.

orc blogger said...

I love the picture! Oldstyle Pooh just melts my heart. :P

Anne-girl said...

It's really a wonderful book. You must read it Jeeves dear