Wednesday, June 3, 2015

BOO.

Hello, poor lost readers of mine! Well, I suppose you aren't the ones lost now, are you? I certainly did not mean to leave the country for two weeks without warning you, but The Fox Went Out was keeping you so happy, I felt I left you in good hands.


A hundred thanks to each of you who read this unusual story and liked it and furthermore left me a comment to tell me so. You make a writer's world go round. Especially when said writer has been in a bit of a bog writing-wise out of which the only thing to come so far has been a whack-a-do story such as The Fox Went Out. We hope that upon our return to America and the banishment of jetlag, we shall soon be up to our elbows in Scotch'd the Snakes and making real progress forward.


If I haven't worked on any of my novels, I have been writing. I believe I made it through ninety-seven pages in my travel journal in two weeks. I haven't the foggiest how many words that represents, but it felt good to write something definite every single day. During our ten-hour layover in Moscow I sat near a young man with red hair and freckles who was reading Laura Hillenbrand's Unbroken. This immediately made me feel friendly toward him, even though he looked like the red-haired boy from Pleasure Island in Pinocchio who turns into a donkey. If I was not quite so "ick" from having been traveling for so long already with a ten-hour flight ahead of me, I would have tried to strike up conversation. As it was, we discussed the flavor of purple Skittles in Romania and that was that. Not exactly kindred spirits despite the book. His friend leaned over to him:
"You're a fast reader."
Redhead looks up. "Huh?"
"You read fast."
"Oh, yeah." He stirs as if he was personally jolted out of a Japanese prison camp and air-dropped in Hawaii. "Yeah, I started this book on the train from Prague."
"Mmm," the friend says.
I sit back and smirk. Well 'scuse me, Mr. Hoighty-Toighty. We've resorted to nation name-dropping, have we?



Anyway, I have so much to tell you. I have a lecture prepared on Doing Research Before Entering Things, I could share excerpts from my travel journal, we could discuss your reaction to The Fox Went Out and why it worked (or didn't) according to your current feeling. We could discuss the new Rooglewood Press contest with its GORGEOUS cover (Five Magic Spindles, anyone?), the fact that it is author Clara Diane Thompson's birthday ("Give her a drink! I...I mean a hand!"), or that I was entranced by a piece of flash fiction I read on the side of my Chipolte's cup which could have been jetlag or really good writing.


There are many things. I have missed you, dear creatures. So glad to be back, so glad to catch up. May the wordcount ever be in your favor and may I soon forge a way through the slough that is my current WIP.

9 comments:

Emily Chapman said...

It's good to have you back, Rachel! ^.^ Also, I'm curious ... do you plan on entering the FIVE MAGIC SPINDLES contest?

Rachel Heffington said...

Mmmm. I am unsure. I applaud what was done to Sleeping Beauty in Maleficent. And I already loved it before. Also, my loyalty lies in finishing the first draft of Scotch'd. But if I end the year with time on my hands...who knows! :) I'm not against the idea.

Abby said...

Yay! Glad to see you back, and that you had a good time. I'd really love to read some of your travel journal. Cause I'm snoopy like that. :)

Emily Ann Putzke said...

So good to have you back to the blogging world! Looking forward to hearing more about your trip and WIP! =)

Janie said...

Well, boo to you, too, and welcome back. I'm excited to read any and all of the things you hinted about above.

Becca Weston said...

Hurrah!! I'm terribly glad your back! :) I love your writing style so much and have missed your blog posts. (in fact, last night I was feeling quite sad and depressed, so to cheer myself up I went back and read the ending of Fly Away Home. :) Personally, I can't wait for Scotch'd!! ;)

Skye Hoffert said...

Lovely pictures. :)

Rachel Heffington said...

Thanks, all of you! And Becca, that makes me smile so much! Fly Away Home is, above all else, a feel-good book, isn't it? :)

Carmel Elizabeth said...

You're baaaaaaack! Welcome. XD