Friday, October 26, 2012

Chomping at the bit.

I may have been silent and-or insipid on this blog the past couple of weeks, but I have good excuse. I decided to role with Au Contraire and have been up to my elbows in research and plotting. Exciting thing is, I tried a new method of plotting because plot-strength is something I've made a goal of recently. The method? After I had the bare-bones idea of Au Contraire (The basic plot outline), I went through and named all the chapters, devoting a certain amount to each phase of the plot. From there I researched historical events along the time-line of the story and plugged them into the basic plot, then built further plot twists and arches along those historical under-pinnings. I'm really really excited about this, and feel more prepared than I have for most of my novels. I have 3 detailed pages of outline to my name which will definitely keep me on track when I feel uninspired. Of course there is wiggle-room for plot changes, new characters, etc, but I think this method is going to prove extremely helpful. Would you like a sneak-peek of this novel via the chapter-names?

Oui?
I had hoped so. I will tell you not to put too much stock in what the names mean--I purposely did not title them obviously. But do they pique your interest?

1. Parlor of Patriots
2. "A bas les aristos!"
3. The song of Marseilles
4. Flicker-by-night
5. Ring-around-the-Rosie
6. A Death of ideals
7. Guilt-gems
8. Visage of Offense
9. The Gulf Torn
10. Nor Hell a Fury
11. The Hound
12. Self-same Dust
13. Tete-tete
14. Ruse de Guerre
15. Belly to the Ground
16. Vive le Roi
17. Doubt Thou the Stars are Fire
18. Vogue la Galere

11 comments:

Jack said...

Doing historical research is hard, but also enjoyable. It has always been something I've liked. I hope yours is fun.

Emily Chapman said...

Ooh! To be honest, 'Au Contraire' had piqued my interest more than I had let on way-back-when you had mentioned it. :) It sounds terribly interesting! Only trouble is, I am rather ignorant when it comes to French... ;)

Elaine J. Dalton said...

This looks impressive. I write fiction but if I were to ever write a historical fiction {I love reading it so I might one day}, I would definitely have to follow your example and plot it out more thoroughly than usual before I actually start writing it. ;) Good luck on your novel! Btw, have you heard of NaNoWriMo?

Elizabeth said...

The chapter sound interesting!

Carmel Elizabeth said...

Ack, you have quite piqued my interest!
J'ai une question pour toi: Tu parles Francais comme moi? Ou la France est-elle simplement un intérêt pour tu?

Avec amour,
~Bree, ton amie francophone. ;)

Rachel Heffington said...

Jack: I am enjoying it so much! There is a lot of inspiration to be found in the delving-into history.
Emily: Haha! So I've caught you? Bon!
Elaine: I have heard of NaNoWriMo but haven't been overly interested in pegging myself down to it. :P But I so much admire those who have the fortitude to do so.
Bree: Google Translate bids me say this to you:
Malheureusement, il est juste un intérêt, mais je veux apprendre.

:}

Aritha Vermeulen said...


Oh, what an interesting way of doing research chapters :-) Your chapter-names sounds very powerful. They wake up in my heart: expectation and curiosity.

I smiled when I read your French conversation in this comments here. So funny. I love 'google translate' but, I first try to write my Dutch words in the right sentence structure, according to the English grammar. That's because your language is so different than Dutch. Google translate sometimes makes a terrible mess.

Lieve groet en veel schrijfplezier.




Rachel Heffington said...

Aritha: thank you so much for your comments. Your English (because of your efforts in organizing your words) is so good I hadn't even known you are Dutch! :) It is a pleasure to have you reading my blog. Thank you! I know Google Translate can mess everything up. I can't depend on it. ;)

"Lieve groet en veel schrijfplezier" to you too! :)

Chloe M. Kookogey said...

I know less French than my wee sister who commented above, but I have a burning interest in both the language and the history of the French Revolution. I'm amazed at how quickly you dive into projects, Rachel; it seems like just yesterday you were introducing the characters of Fly Away Home, and here we are with another morsel of your literary genius at our fingertips! I can't wait until you share some excerpts of Au Contraire . . . it sounds just splendid.

Rachel Heffington said...

Well, Elizabeth, it just so happens that Au Contraire has been an idea for a very very long time. I wanted to research thoroughly though, so I bought The Oxford History of the French Revolution and made my way through much of that, then finished certain other easier, already-begun projects before plotting out. You know how you feel you are finally ready for an idea? That's how Au Contraire feels right now. It's time for it. :)

Chloe M. Kookogey said...

Oh, really? Now that you mention it, I have seen the prospective French Revolution historical fiction on your page titled My Scribbling for some time. How addlepated I must have been to forget. :P Either way, it's a wonderful idea for a book — dare I say my favorite of your ventures yet?