Thursday, November 8, 2012

A little bit of pixie-dust. :)


My first experience with world-building happened sometime around the age of 8. My brother and sister and I went through a stage of being wild over cartography, spies, and anything that remotely resembled a map. Especially a secret one. Somehow we decided each to make a map of his own "country" and not show anyone else. The "not-show-anyone-else" lasted all of about one afternoon before the politics began....Before I had thought of my map as a very sophisticated, elaborate, and elegant country of monumental importance....in some way unknown to me. Daniel showed Sarah and I his elaborate country which we were humble enough to admit was far better than ours. His looked real. But mine had some good points, I thought. And Sarah was attached to her world too. The solution? Daniel was generous enough to offer a truce: Tape them together, add a fourth sector to make it even, and rename the country. So easily done with one is 8.

While going through a rigorous, terribly exhausting, and rather frightening emergency-cleaning of my room, I found a stack of old letters and scribblings from my childhood. The maps were there, along with a key that had me laughing aloud....I've grown up so much since then. Oh so much. Ah...those good old days...

My original country was named "Dremla"


Later we changed it to "Shatinia". I thought that was an epic and awesome name for a made-up country....for an eight-year-old.

Daniel's half of the map was written in a scrawling, stratchity hand which made it all that much more mysterious and therefore legit.

Here are the funniest of descriptions, complete with the childish spelling...

Leprocahn Lake: there are some pretty twisted characters there so beware. hint: always wear green.

elfboats: Very friendly, good place to rent boats if you are planning an ocean attack.

goblins cave: kind of dark, but the glitter of treasure lights it up. hint: if you're in need of money go here. (they stole most of it so chances are some of it was yours.)

Countess Vameerals Mansion: She loves red and black. She's pretty friendly. hints: if you don't like bats don't visit. Be careful what you drink.

witches woods: The witches some times get an attack of spells so check the magic forecast before you visit. Goblins have tunnels here.

5 comments:

Kendra E. Ardnek said...

Oh, hilarious. I can remember the world-building I would do with my sister at that age. Ah, the innocent, yet completely impractical stuff children think is genius. Those maps are lovely!

Dakota Densmore said...

That is so awesome! XD I laughed at the descriptions of the different places. :D

Whenever I find something that my brother and I made in our childhood, I always have to stop, smile, and be all nostalgic. ;)

Always Narnian said...

Ah...being a kid! There's nothing like it! The things you make up seem so awesome!

Esther Brooksmith (wisdomcreates) said...

I am cleaning my room this week as well, and I came across the designs for a submarine of fantastic proportions and properties. It must have been soon after I read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. There were apartments for all my friends and a gunsmith shop, complete with a firing range and soundproof walls, for my Daddy. There was a barn section for all the animals I wanted to carry along. And, of course, there was the all-important control room. :) Ahh, the good old days...

Elisabeth Grace Foley said...

This reminds me of the map of Neverland my siblings and I made about a decade ago. We used to play Peter Pan a lot with our cousins—a kind of combination of the book and musical versions with plenty of our own trimmings added. :) I've still got that map tucked away somewhere!