Thursday, November 29, 2012

Happy 114th!

Today we are having a birthday party on this blog. Why? Why? Good grief, my dear friends! Because it is C.S. Lewis' 114th birthday, and if I forget to celebrate his birthday, I might as well forget to celebrate my own!
Ever since Mama would read us the Chronicles of Narnia...ever since watching the old BBC film versions...ever since I was first introduced to the marvelous idea of a forest in the back of a wardrobe, I have loved Lewis. Narnia was the only make-believe land I cared for. So many many times can I recall playing at Narnia on the hill behind our house, sometimes creeping into the solemn, stern cluster of woods called "Doxey Park" with the solitary lamppost standing sentinel at one side. We made daggers. We shot bows and arrows.
Then I grew older and I realized--with a delighted wriggle--the second level to Lewis' writings: the beautiful, poignant truths woven so inextricably through his words that it hurts in a good way to read them. I expanded from my narrow circle of the Chronicles of Narnia and read The Screwtape Letters....Surprised by Joy....biographies of this man...and what a man he was. To celebrate, below I've compiled some of my favorite  quotes along with pictures of this wonderful Christian brother, or things that remind me of him! Huzzah!


"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." -C.S. Lewis


"A children's story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children's story in the slightest."
 -C.S. Lewis


"I'm on Aslan's side, even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia." -C.S. Lewis The Silver Chair

“I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept his claim to be God. That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic — on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg — or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for a fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God, but let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.”
-C.S. Lewis Mere Christianity


“I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.”
-C.S. Lewis


“Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it.”
-C.S. Lewis Mere Christianity

Sarah and I as the White Witch and the Lady of the Green Kirtle 

“It isn't Narnia, you know," sobbed Lucy. "It's you. We shan't meet you there. And how can we live, never meeting you?"

"But you shall meet me, dear one," said Aslan.
"Are -are you there too, Sir?" said Edmund.
"I am," said Aslan. "But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.” 

-C.S. Lewis The Voyage of the Dawn Treader


“You come of the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve," said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth. Be content.”
-C.S. Lewis Prince Caspian

Happy 114th Birthday, dear old Jack! We are forever grateful for your sense of humor, your wisdom, your love for Christ, and your brilliant books! Three Cheers or Lewis! Who's with me?

13 comments:

Kendra E. Ardnek said...

Happy Birthday C.S. Lewis!!! He is my FAVORITE writer, and I blame my love of writing on him. (and Tolkien, but to a lesser degree)

I'm so glad my mom wouldn't let me falsely think that LWW was horrid, and made me watch the BBC video.

Shi of Narnia said...

Hip Hip Hooray!
Hip Hip Hooray!
Hip Hip Hooray!
Happy Birthday C.S. Lewis! :)

Rhoswen Faerie Wrose said...

Happy Birthday Jack!!!! :-D

Thank you for this post, Rachel. These are all of my favorite Lewis quotes! :-)

I think I celebrated his birthday by impressing some people with my C.S. Lewis knowledge. ;-)

Always Narnian said...

I'M WITH YOU OF COURSE! I've said a few time today: It's C.S. Lewis' birthday! Praise the Lord for a brilliant Christian brother!
It's his fault I have become obsessed- obsessed with Narnia, that is! He indeed is my favorite author!
Alot of those you posted are some of my favorite quotes of his, along with
"must more people die for edmund?" and "High King Peter, shut the door!" And last, not least:
“But for them it was only the beginning of the real story. All their life in this world and all their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story which no one on earth has read: which goes on forever: in which every chapter is better than the one before.”

Joy said...

Happy Birthday to C.S. Lewis :). He's one of my favourite authors indeed. A lovely post, Rachel.

Jack said...

Lewis is a man I greatly admire. A man full of wisdom and love for God. A man who created a world a lot of children got to visit when they were younger, a land which has captured imaginations and given so many a grand adventure. I will ever be thankful to him for that.

Rachel Hope said...

How could I have missed this ?
I am so disappointed in my self. I am a self proclaimed C S Lewis fan, he's one of my favorite writers. As a child my brother and I memorized the Lion the witch and the wardrobe, because our mother bought us the BBC drama theatre CD's, Well, it started as tapes. I loved those, then I became aware of the actual books ! Imagine my joy. Happy Birthday Mr Lewis, it was his books that cultured the writers appeal in my heart.
Blessings ~ Rachel Hope

Rachel Hope said...

Oh and that picture of your sister and you ? Its too cute.

Jade said...

Happy Belated Birthday to C.S. Lewis! (I am sorry I got to this blog a day late). I have to say, this post is just perfect! C.S. Lewis is one of my favorite authors. I love the blend of enchanting pictures & words. :) (+1) New follower!

Rachel Heffington said...

Jade: So happy to meet you! :) I love new followers here on the Inkpen Authoress--it's rather a fun little place.

Everyone else: I am sure glad to see such a lot of you here celebrating Jack's birthday! :)

Emily Chapman said...

Narnia! C.S. Lewis! Oh, why couldn't I have seen this yesterday?? Oh, well. I watched The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe yesterday and found myself falling even further into my obsession of Narnia. I would go there if I could. If it were real. And yet then I remind myself Narnia is as real to all of us if we look at what Lewis wrote between the lines. Aslan is real, Narnia is real... and I think we are as much Narnians in this world as we would be there. :) Happy belated birthday, dear Lewis, and thank you a bundle for creating such a rich and gorgeous world that has captured the hearts of hundreds of we children around the world.

Unknown said...

I'm with you, Rachel! Three cheers for C.S. Lewis!!
I loved your post. I was reminded of some of his quotes that I had forgotten and acquainted with some I had no idea of. And the pictures are marvelous. The one of you and Sarah was so cute! :)

I know this is my first time ever commenting on your blog and I apologize for not coming out of the shadows sooner. I've been an avid and delighted follower of your blog since you were writing The Scarlet Gypsy Song. You are one of my favorite writers even though I haven't read any of your books in their entirety before. I think you are an excellent writer. Your stories are moving, intriguing, and delightful. I can't wait until you publish a book!*hugs herself in anticipation*

Oh, and just so you know my Mum adores Cottleston Pie (so do I). She raves over everything you put up about it (and my Mum never raves over a book unless she considers it excellent.) You can imagine her reaction when you posted the first chapter! ;)

Rachel Heffington said...

Well, I'm honored, Annie! It is always a good sign to me when a grown-up likes my books as well as young people. Young people--no offense to you, myself, or anyone else--are not quite the best judges, as we are much too apt to like everything that strikes our fancy without due regard for whether it's actually good or not. That being said, I am so glad your Mum and yourself are enjoying The Inkpen Authoress, and I am looking forward to the day when I can tell you truly that one of my books is available in the shop down the street. :)