Monday, September 23, 2013

The Tap Can Now Be Turned Off

Monday dawns chill and perfectly autumnal. I head out to work with Sarah, Leah, and Dad and I don't fret about not having time to write today.

Why?

Because last night at 9:37 I finished the first round of edits for The Windy Side of Care. My family has been patient with me as I've holed up in The Lair in that zone of desperation where I scream like Sherlock, "YOU CAN'T JUST TURN IT ON AND OFF LIKE A TAP!" I always enter this zone in the home-stretch of my stories and beware your head if you dare interrupt me for something as menial as dirty dishes. Sorry guys; you're the top and I hope I didn't snarl too much.


At 11:00, right before tumbling into bed, I sent TWSOC to a list of beta-readers who were then quite prompt in getting on it and reading. (Two have already finished) I was blessed while writing this story with a strangely productive time-period; most days I managed almost 3,000 words which meant that the story built up quickly, leaving more time to edit. The problem was that I thought I had 25,000 words in which to spin my story. In reality, we are given 20,000 words which meant that in the end I had to find ways to cut over 4,000 out of the story. Painful right there. I managed to do it, though, and it is now in review with an army of readers. I am hopeful. Having to cut so many words caused me to have to tighten dialog and description which actually made the whole much stronger. Funny to read a scene pre-editing and post-editing...the change is enormous. I'll probably return to this topic by and by with a post of examples and some advice from one of my favorite writer-instructors.

In other news, the critique group I was a part of several years is beginning again just as I was telling a friend about how hard and yet rewarding it was to take the critique given. I am planning to join, though I will have to decide if The Baby can qualify as a YA novel; I think it serves the purpose well enough to fit and I am looking forward to sinking my teeth into the give and take of serious critique partners again. This group is tough-nails.

So I'm off to work and reading Two Years Before The Mast and I will leave those of you who aren't beta-reading The Windy Side of Care with this teaser:
Fifteen minutes more and I would spread the blood on the white stones of the outer balcony; a half hour and the murder would be announced.
-Part Six

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey soul sister--I say the EXACT same thing to my family. L.O.L. And now I'm going to start calling my room The Lair now. ;)

Can't wait to read TWOC later today! It's part of my chores/writing reward system. ;)
Love ya, girl!

Carmel Elizabeth said...

While I don't use the same words, I've certainly had my share of "NOT NOW I'M WRITING" moments. I'm blessed with an extremely forgiving family, fortunately. :)

I've said it before - and it's worth repeating: I do hope TWSOC gets published in "The 5 Glass Slippers" because I have loved all you've given us of it. And I'm always open for beta-reading if you don't have enough already. No pressure, of course. ;)

Chloe M. Kookogey said...

This talk of beta readers makes me blush, because I *still* haven't gotten back to you about Fly Away Home! Goodness. I read and loved it, then I reread it and adored it . . . I must sit down and write you a proper response. I'm truly sorry about that!

Your productivity with The Windy Side of Care is impressive. I must admit, though, that I wasn't too surprised, as no one is better than Rachel at seeing a project through with punctuality. :) And that snippet? It's so different from your usual style, but stunning nonetheless. You have me completely intrigued.

Here's to the hope of TWSOC being published in The Five Glass Slippers!

Jack said...

It is so exciting to finish a book, but it is in those last pages that authors really turn into hermits. It is very nice of your family to have such understanding and leave you to your work.

So very exciting that you finished it and it is now being beta read!!!