Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Snippable Stories


So. Snippets. Yes. It appears to be that time of the blog post circle when I share pieces from what I'm currently writing. They aren't many, this time, but there are some and for that you must give me grace. Five Glass Slippers and the publicity pertaining that is keeping me plenty busy, but I have found time for writing a bit. I hope you enjoy these.

In the shifting blue shadows where green gave way like watercolors to the gold-ripe fields, a hand clamped over Merrin's arm.
-Toadhaven League

“I hate him.” The end of Germaine's statement tilted upward like the tip of her nose, conversationally.
-Toadhaven League
She compliments him, Merrin thought. Like poppies compliment wheat.
-Toadhaven League
She chopped blindly at a tuft of grass that had grown up with depressing presumption between a squash plant and the garden path. Merrin was no better at menial labor—indeed, likely much worse—but she was not certain gripping it with both hands, like a croquet mallet, was quite the way to handle a hoe.
-Toadhaven League

It was the first page of summer and a high, white melody was at play in the trees. Great, black bees droned in thickets of oregano and thyme. Great, black crows stalked in the gardens which had not behaved this year as gardens ought, but crept along like midget-things at a slug’s trot.
-Toadhaven League

“It is hardly fair, Cat, that I cannot be a princess.” Saying so, the young woman locked eyes with the animal in her lap. Her eyes were golden and his were golden, and the result was that the girl looked away before the cat.
-Toadhaven League

Womannish, Merrin shoved the truth in the Cotton Man's eyes: “Estelle is blonde and tall and wise which are things I can never be and Tierney. Tierney is a man and he must see it and I fear lest he see it and … and love it.”
-Toadhaven League

Merrin's heart plummeted with dread. Nay, plummeted before the act as if prophesying it.
-Toadhaven League

“We sound so horrible,” Lisbeth said, “to anyone who isn't us.”
“Quite so.” Germaine did not sound the least bit concerned about sounding horrible. “The cat, you know, probably loathes us. I know the crows do. I hate working out or doors; the weather does nothing but glare, you know.”
-Toadhaven League

1 comment:

Katherine S. Cole said...

that last snippet... *dies* I love it. XD and the second also. :D All quite lovely to read though...I quite enjoyed them all. XD