Sunday, March 1, 2015

March's Chatterbox: Hockity, Pockity, Wockity, Wack

Chatterbox is on time this month, and a grand hurrah for it, right? A mad and merry March to you all! I'll refresh your mind as to what Chatterbox is from the get-go so those of you who are newish won't feel left out. There's nothing worse than arriving late to a party and feeling that every eye is upon your ignorance.



CHATTERBOX IS A MONTHLY EVENT CREATED AND HOSTED BY ME, DESIGNED AS A QUICK DIALOGUE EXERCISE. IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE STRICTLY DIALOGUE, AS I ENJOY GOOD DESCRIPTION TOO, BUT CENTERING YOUR PIECE AROUND A CONVERSATION IS THE GENERAL IDEA. I ASSIGN A TOPIC (USUALLY ONE THAT CAN BE TAKEN ANY OF SEVERAL WAYS) AND IT IS YOUR JOB TO WRITE A CONVERSATION BETWEEN YOUR CHARACTERS, USING THIS PROMPT. WHEN YOU'VE POSTED YOUR PIECE ON YOUR BLOG, COME BACK HERE AND LEAVE YOUR LINK ON THE LINK-UP BELOW.

 In England, there is an old tradition that if Easter should fall on Lady Day (March 25) than some disaster should soon follow:
"When my Lord falls into my Lady's lap,
England beware of some mishap."
Of course in 2015, Easter falls on April 5th, but I stole inspiration from this old superstition anyway. In addition to the tradition of havoc wreaked on Lady Day, there is more troublesome lore pertaining to this month. The name "March" itself was borrowed off of Mars, the Roman god of war, since the calender year used to begin with March, and spring was the time for wars.As Christianity spread, of course, we instituted a church calender which meant the year began in January, and out went March. Another version of the namesake comes from the old English word for "roar," which title obviously refers to the month's windy habit. Anyway. For March's Chatterbox, I thought I would foist off the idea of many traditions and wives' tales and announce the topic as:

Superstition

Now, you can declare yourselves to be purists and write of a roaring war on superstition and thus win gold stars for your Marchyness. Or you can write of two characters who are all for believing in superstitions. Or one could be for and one against it. Or you could take the more "characters having a historical-philosophical-discussion-of-superstition" view. One thing that comes to mind is the iconic scene in Roman Holiday in which Hepburn and Peck's characters are visiting the Mouth of Truth in Rome...and get a (famous) bit of a scare.



I am probably the farthest thing from superstitious you could ask for. My black cat waltzed across my path on Friday the Thirteenth of last month and I laughed at the irony of how much such an occurrence might worry the unhealthy-minded. I consider morbid superstition to be its own peculiar form of madness, and March is the month for it, traditionally, is it not? However you choose to play the topic, superstition is yours to play with. Brava, and join your posts in the link below. Looking forward to reading all the entries, so share the joy around. :)

3 comments:

Kat said...

This is a really cool idea! I'd love to join in some time. This kind of writing is just the thing I enjoy!
Your blog is amazing BTW, it's so clean and professional looking. It's really kind to the eyes:)

Rachel Heffington said...

Kat: I really hope you do! So many writers have found it helpful and beyond that, it's just fun! And thank you--the blog design was done by Carmel Elizabeth of CARMEL. Quite good at this sort of thing. :)

Abby said...

Oh dear, I really would love to do this. But nothing I'm writing right now lends itself to superstition. I'll keep my eyes out for next month, however.