Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Write Yo-self.

I'm issuing a challenge today, born out of this thought I found on Pinterest:


Because I do wonder, I'm going to write that passage, and challenge the rest of you to write it as well. Write a description of yourself as found in a novel and post it on your blog in the next few days. Mine will be up tomorrow, and I hope you'll join me. Nothing like using a live model for a character sketch, and if one uses oneself, the risk of offending the model is little to none. ;)

As far as updates go, I've fixed all the glitches in the domain-switchover except the follower-block. Still working on fixing that up and figuring out just where it went wrong after following advice found on the Blogger forums hasn't quite played out. Writing-wise I'm in a flurry to finish polishing The Fox Went Out and send it into Narrative before the March 31st deadline, after which I will continue writing Scotch'd the Snakes. May I recommend never adding a lisp you intend to take out? One misses so many places when removing it. Elisabeth Foley has been more than helpful in suggesting edits and in return, I am (I get to) read the first half of her novel for children, The Summer Country. There are pros to asking for help, because often people will ask for help back, and then you get to read things the general populace does not. And in the realm of reading, I've got Unnatural Death by Dorothy Sayers in the works for light reading as well as Flannery O'Connor's Mystery & Manners for heftier stuff.

So, off with you! Describe yourself in a short passage as if you had found your likeness in a novel, and leave a link in the comments below if you'd like me to read it. I can't wait to see who will take the challenge. At any rate, I'm taking it and my word-portrait will be posted tomorrow. Be brave. Be kind. Be true. Till tomorrow, then!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun. Here's my description if you want to read it. https://hanna1960.wordpress.com/2015/03/24/author-write-thyself/
Can't wait to see yours!

Janie said...

I'm endlessly curious how someone would describe me, but I'm a little frightened of undertaking the challenge of describing myself. I think I would either come off as conceited or as having low self esteem...neither of which are entirely true. I think another person might actually have better luck painting an accurate word picture of me, since I am entirely too up clos and personal to form a completely accurate view of myself.

I'm excited to see everyone else's descriptions, though.

Rachel Heffington said...

Hanna: wonderful job! I forgot my Wordpress sign-in, otherwise I would have left a comment on your post.
Janie: I've always wanted someone who has met me to describe me too...but I know enough of what I've come across as to other people to paint a *fair* portrait. It mightn't be ENTIRELY accurate (how could I guess what goes on in their heads?) but I made myself at least attempt it. There IS always the trouble of appearing to be either extreme; you are right.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Rachel! :-)

Esther Brooksmith (wisdomcreates) said...

Ahh, but the way I see myself changes...sometimes hourly. How will I pick the right hour in which to write it?
At the same time, though this is a really cool opportunity to look at yourself, your strengths, weaknesses, and quirks -- all the elements that make up a character -- in an objective light. Like you said, it's just a live model for a sketch and I think it is an amazing idea.