Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Something Fresh: My new love affair with Wodehouse. :)

I love P.G. Wodehouse. A friend brought me Something Fresh to read when she came up, and I devoured it in an evening and a morning. I am now a sworn Wodehouse fan (despite how stupid I sound walking about saying "Wodehouse" as if I was Lady Cumnor in Wives and Daughters: "She expwesses hewself vewy fwankly, Cwaire." :P) Something Fresh was the first of the Blandings Castle books and it was enough to convince me that P.G. Wodehouse is now a favorite author of mine. There is an indescribable something or other about him that resonates with me and makes me want more...now to see if our abominable library has anything of Jeeves about it. Toodles! I'm going to see a Broadway show this evening! (*eeep!*) Not on Broadway of course, but it is one of the traveling set, and my uncle is playing 60 (yes, count them) percussion instruments in it! :) I think that's something to feel a tidge of family pride in, eh? :) But I've got to get all my baking done before then so I'd better scat!

                "The Lining of my Stomach is not what the Lining of my Stomach ought to be."
 -Beach, the Butler

***
"What is a Black Wand of Death?"
-Ashe Marson <3

***
"What a dashed business!...and I was so dashed happy!"
-The Hon. Freddie Threepwood
 
(oh yes, I do love Wodehouse! :)

P.S. I discovered this morning (as I hit over 69,000 words in The Scarlet-Gypsy Song!) that a violent thunderstorm is just the right time to write a battle scene. :)


2 comments:

Miss Dashwood said...

I am an avid Wodehouse fan... I do hope your library will be a duck and allow you to enjoy the inimitable Jeeves! You'll love him! I haven't read "Something Fresh" but I'll put it on my to-read list. "Summer Moonshine" is also an excellent one. Poking people in the snoot... heehee.

Which Broadway show is your uncle in? It sounds monstrous exciting! (and now I sound like Sir John Middleton--oh dear)

Amanda said...

Love Wodehouse, Jeeves is great but my personal favorite would have to be the psmith stories, even if I did have to learn a bit about cricket. :)