Wednesday, August 8, 2012

...can he talk nonsense?


"There are two ways of dealing with nonsense in this world. One way is to put nonsense in the right place; as when people put nonsense into nursery rhymes. The other is to put nonsense in the wrong place; as when they put it into educational addresses, psychological criticisms, and complaints against nursery rhymes and other normal amusements of mankind."
-G.K.  Chesterton
"You have to write the book that wants to be written. If the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children."
-Madeleine L'engle
"Don't talk to me about a man's being able to talk sense; everyone can talk sense. Can he talk nonsense?"
-William Pitt
"Cottleston, cottleston, cottleston pie
A fly can't bird, and a bird can't fly.
Ask me a riddle and I'll reply:
Cottleston, cottleston, cottlestone pie!"
-A.A. Milne
"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living."
-Dr. Seuss
These few quotes are simply to let you know that my mind has run to nonsense in my long sabbatical from writing, and as I try to harness my thoughts into some semblance of normalcy, I bit of that nonsense might dribble into a scribble or two. Consider yourselves fairly warned. For now, know that this post was entirely inspired by having been reading Winnie-the-Pooh again and working myself into a high good humor. I know you think I'm daft when I laud the Pooh books. I mean honestly, I am twenty years old. But the best books are the ones that charm you all through life, and I mean it when I say that there is nothing for making one smile like a good dose of the Hundred Acre Wood.
Toodle-pip, everyone! I'm off to trot along and write something! And I have the most shivery feeling it might be something good. I have been reading A.A. Milne after all! ;)



3 comments:

Rhoswen Faerie Wrose said...

My dear Rachel, I shall be twenty-nine next month, and I think your love of the Pooh books perfectly acceptable. In fact, quite a good thing! So do not fear the opinion of those who say otherwise- I'm sure I never do! :-)

Chloe M. Kookogey said...

I love the Winnie the Pooh books far too much for my own good. Just mention his name, and I'll immediately start quoting Buckingham Palace, Disobedience, or one of A.A. Milne's other poems. So, my dear Rachel, you are not daft in the slightest. I'm glad to know I'm in good company. :D

Love and hugs,
Elizabeth Rose

Unknown said...

Brava! This - this collection here - is absolutely perfect. And you are not daft to laud the Pooh books; I'm convinced Milne wrote them for sensible adults more than silly children.