Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Art thou the Bard? Happy Birthday, Knave.


Today is William Shakespeare's 450th birthday!

Or ... you know ... would have been if he hadn't died way back then. I feel a deeper connection than ever to Shakespeare, having just finished first-round edits for Anon, Sir, Anon. This story, as most of you know, centers around a murder mystery (or a "murdery" for short) and the detective, Orville Farnham, is a well-known Shakespearean actor. I spent much time in my Shakespeare Quotes section of my Bartlett Book during the writing of Anon, Sir, and I have found his quotes springing to mind in day-to-day conversation which, quite frankly, delights me. So far, my favorite Shakespeare plays are Much Ado About Nothing and Henry V , both for quite different reasons. I just thought I'd throw that rather random and useless bit of information to my public and let you do what you will with it.  I did not think Shakespeare's birthday (especially a 450th!) ought to go by without a bit of notice on The Inkpen Authoress, so I am going to take this time to list the things I love about The Bard:

How ever-loving quotable was the man:


The things we say today to which we owe William Shakespeare thanks (or scorn):


The reach and comprehensiveness of his characters, like King Henry V:


(i.e. a blooming good excuse to post an obnoxious amount of Hiddleston pictures)

The Double-Meanings and/or humor of which he was capable, using Elizabethan language:


It was Shakespeare who gave us some of the sweetest marriage proposals ever. 



Basically, he deserves quite a lot of cake.


5 comments:

Emily Ann Putzke said...

Love this!!

Elisabeth Grace Foley said...

The Shakespearean quotes for every occasion were one of my favorite things about Anon, Sir, Anon. I was impressed by your knowledge of the Bard, let alone Farnham's.

Becca Weston said...

I am REALLY looking forward to the release of Anon, Sir, Anon!!! Everything I read on here makes me more and more excited. :)

I was wondering if you could tell me your top five favorite books. I'm looking for new material, (Possibly exploring different genres.) and would love some suggestions!! :) Thanks.
~Becca

Unknown said...

Only because someone told me that the Bard had reached the venerable age of four and a half centuries yesterday did I know it. Would that be considered the seventh age?
By the way, Miss Heffington, I am in full agreement with you about Shakespeare's quotability (coining words is so useful). "For she had eyes and chose me." Othello, yes?

Chloe M. Kookogey said...

I'd have to say Henry V and Much Ado About Nothing are my favorite Shakespearean plays as well, though I'm also partial to As You Like It and (oddly enough) Macbeth. I've never seen Hiddleston's version of Henry V — only Branagh's, which is more than satisfactory — but I should like to.

Eagerly awaiting the day we get to read Anon, Sir, Anon. I should like to name all the references to the Bard. ^.^