Tuesday, December 23, 2014

John Out-the-Window: Letter the Tenth


To read part one, click here

To read part two, click here

To read part three, click here 

  To read part four, click here
To read part five, click here 
To read part six, click here
To read part seven, click here
To read part eight, click here 
To read part nine, click here
 

Letter the Tenth




From Mavis Brinkley to Antoinette Charleton

Dec. 23, ‘48
TONI:
What happens next? You can’t leave me like this. I need to know! Even if you don’t know, I need to know. Which reminds me: are you sure that Diane isn’t some strange kind of wizard quietly arranging your fate behind your back?
No? Quite sure?
Okay. It’s just that she seems to be the sort who would if she could.
I’m trying to be perfectly calm about this, Toni, but my head is in such an uproar these days. Do you know, Corky has asked me to marry him? My delivery-boy has proposed marriage to the Mavis Brinkley of the Brinkley fortune. I don’t understand why. I also don’t understand why I’m actually considering it. If Errol Flynn doesn’t make a move pretty soon, I might find myself Mrs. Corky Canes. Please get engaged soon and save me the trouble of doing it myself.
I don’t want to plan a wedding. It’d be in all the papers.
...
...
All right. I am actually wild with anticipation right now. If I don’t receive a telegram from you telling me otherwise (or at least telling me what gift he got you for the tenth day) I’ll hop on a train straight down to your apartment and make the most awkward third there ever was. Diane and I can sit primly on the couch and open our eyes wide when you and John kiss.

Yours As Usual,
    MAVIS

Telegram from Antoinette Charleton to Mavis Brinkley:

NO KISS YET. FIND MISTLETOE? HIS CALL. TEN LEAPING LORDS ARE RACES IN FAIRFAX CO. LORDS BEING HORSES? ANOTHER CHEAT. DONT MIND. LOVE HIM. WEARING NEW HAT. TRES BOUFFANT.

Telegram from Mavis Brinkley to Antoinette Charleton:

    GOOD HAT PROMISES GOOD THINGS. BIG HAT PROMISES BIG THINGS. GOOD BIG THINGS? I SAY YES. KEEP TELEGRAPHING. WILL COVER BILL. MUST KNOW ALL.

   
Telegram from Antoinette Charleton to Mavis Brinkley:

AT WINTER RACES. NO MISTLETOE. HORSES RUNNING. WON FIVE DOLLARS ON GILLY SLY GUY.  SO EXCITING. WISH I WAS JOCKEY. JOHN SAYS HE MUST ASK ME SOMETHING LATER.


Telegram from Mavis Brinkle to Antoinette Charleton:

    PAY ATTENTION TO JOHN NOT HORSES. IS HE HAPPY? IS HE ROMANTIC? IS HE RUINING FINANCES ON HORSE RACE? WILL YOU END DAY WITH RING?


Telegram from Antoinette Charleton to Mavis Brinkley:

NO RUIN OR RING. NOT YET. HAHA. TERRIBLY FUN DAY. GILLY SLY GUY STILL TOPS. STOP TELEGRAPHS. TEDIOUS WORK. WILL WRITE TOMORROW.


Telegram from Mavis Brinkley to Antoinette Charleton:

TONI DONT LEAVE ME IN SUSPENSE.


Telegram from Mavis Brinkley to Antoinette Charleton:

TONI?


Telegram from Mavis Brinkley to Antoinette Charleton:

TONI YOU BRAT.
\
 

11 comments:

Michelle Marie said...

Ahhh, now I'M in suspense.

Chloe M. Kookogey said...

RACHEL, DON'T LEAVE ME IN SUSPENSE.

Hannah Joy said...

Ahahaaaa I love these telegraphs!!! XD

Esther Brooksmith (wisdomcreates) said...

I like how much info you manage to relay in Toni's brief telegrams. I can see Toni at the races! :)

Abby said...

Oh, I like this too. Story through telegram is clever.

Unknown said...

I share Mavis' sentiments--too much suspense!!!

Blue said...

Ah, ha haa! Brilliant!

Abbey Stellingwerff said...

I love the change in form to telegrams! Adds another dimension. Wonderful!

Morgan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Morgan said...

Haha! This is great!

Becca Weston said...

ahhhhh. i am enjoying these so much. i'm actually sad that they're almost over, but I think i am going to buy both of your books as a Christmas present for myself. :)