Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Found at Last in the 1578 Pages :)

Here are some of my favorite quotes I have found in my quote book! Some are funny and completely random, others are thoughtful, others clever. Tell me which is your favorite! :)

"What would have become of us had it pleased Providence to make the weather unchangeable? Think of the state of destitution of the morning callers." -Sydney Smith

"Madam, I have been looking for a person who disliked gravy all my life; let us swear eternal friendship." -Ibid.

"Marriage resembles a pair of shears, so joined that they can not be separated; often moving in opposite directions, yet always punishing anyone who comes between them." ;) Ibid.

"No on minds what Jeffrey says: .. it is not more than a week ago that I heard him speak disrespectfully of the equator." -Ibid.

"Not the poem which we have read, but that to which we return, with the greatest pleasure, possesses the genuine power, and claims the name of essential poetry." -Samuel Taylor Coleridge

"Miss Blachford is agreeable enough. I do not want people to be very agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them a great deal." -Jane Austen

"What dreadful hot weather we have! It keeps me in a continual state of inelegance." -Ibid.

"Not many sounds in life, and I include all urban and rural sounds, exceed in interest a knock at the door." -Charles Lamb

"Put your trust in God, my boys, and keep your powder dry!" -Col. Valentine Blacker

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value." -Thomas Paine

"Her blue eyes sough the west afar,
For lovers love the western star." -Sir Walter Scott

"Meat eaten without either mirth or music is ill of digestion." -Ibid.

"[Miss Austen] had a talent for describing the involvements and feelings and characters of ordinary life which is to me the most wonderful I ever met with. The Big Bow-wow strain I can do myself like any now going; but the exquisite touch which renders ordinary, commonplace things and characters interesting, from the truth of the description and sentiment is denied to me." - Ibid.

1 comment:

Abigail said...

I'm so glad you're enjoying it so much!! :)

Ha, I like the gravy one! Although, I personally love gravy. ;)