Friday, May 27, 2011

If You Wrote Like I Write.... ;)


Do you want to know some of my writing secrets? Not like writing tips, but secrets of the way I write? They'll make you laugh, and make me blush. Ready? Okay.

1.) I use a superfluous number of exclamation marks. This quote from "Cranford" could be said about any of my writing:
"She wrote in such distress--there were exclamation marks!" ;)

2.) I hate writing with pencils. If I am forced to use one, I sharpen it every couple of minutes. I absolutely *cannot* use a blunt tipped writing instrument. :P You want a quote to go with this? Okay. Here's one from Puddleby Lane:
"Of course she knew that writing with a pencil would be far more practical—she would be able to erase mistakes. But there was something stimulating in the scratching of the pen’s nib. It liberated her fancy and the words flowed freer. A pencil humped along like a bored snail but an ink-pen skimmed the surface of the paper like a gull winging above the ocean waves"

3.) I am guilty of plugging in synonyms of "said" at the end of my dialog to make the writing sound more prestigious, and ending up sounded the direct opposite. Believe it or not, "said" is invisible, and therefore doesn't ruin the flow of your writing like other, longer words might.

4.) I vow that a glass of homemade (or Chik-fil-A) lemonade is the best companion for inspiration. Hot tea makes me sleepy, you need hands to eat anything and there's something about the zing of lemonade that wakes you up... ;)

5.) My brain freezes up when there is a sister looking over my shoulder at the progress of my story. I can't think quite so well. Especially when I know they are casting silent darts of disapproval over the fate of certain characters...ahem.

6.) I scribble poems and story ideas down on random scraps of paper and stick them in random books, and come across them later on long after I had forgotten about them.

7.) I apparently make faces and generally act out my book on my face while writing. (Or at least, my sisters tell me so.)

Was that at all interesting? I hope so. What are some weird things you all do when you write? Any strange habits? Have a great Memorial Day weekend! I'm entering a pie-contest. :) Even authoresses are not above dabbling in pastry-making. ;) -Rachel

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, priceless! LOL You did indeed make me laugh aloud... particularly at number five. "Especially when I know they are casting silent darts of disapproval over the fate of certain characters...ahem." I sense guilt! xD

On the other hand, this line is simply beautiful: "A pencil humped along like a bored snail but an ink-pen skimmed the surface of the paper like a gull winging above the ocean waves." Lovely description!

Miss Inkpen said...

Haha! I'm glad you enjoyed it, Taylor! :) I'm not sure about guilt so much as irritation that they are *trying* to make me feel guilty. :D

Always Narnian said...

I know how it is with someone looking on! I freeze up! It's weird :P
Well...let's see. I write pieces of stories in places too. :) :D :D
I don't know about when I am actually writing...I sit and think about sentences alot, that's for sure...I am very thoughtful...I cannot think of any quirks, though. :)

Anonymous said...

LOL Yep! I freeze up when people read over my shoulder as I write, too, though mostly it's just because I'm rather self-conscious of my stories. No real reason, just that! :) I've had to work on my self-consciousness about my work, because even when it's finished... I still feel embarrassed when someone reads my words in my presence. I'm not exactly sure why. I'm fine if they read it when I'm not around, but if I'm there... eek! I'd like to break that habit, so I tell myself there's nothing to be ashamed of and try not to hide my face. Still working on it, though! LOL Crazy, right?

The Authoress said...

I so agree about the Chick-fil-a lemonade! And I too scribble on random scraps of paper. But now that I have a laptop I type them on its post-it-notes and scatter them over my desktop background.:)