Thursday, May 5, 2011

"A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words" Contest :)


Have you ever seen a painting that so captivates your fancy that you find yourself wondering about the figures in the picture?



Who are they?



What is their story?


I often find myself doing so.


A curiously pensive expression.....


A distant, prideful gaze....


A wild look to the setting....




I could spend hours pondering over the particulars and weaving wild stories to accompany them. :) So I had an idea for a new contest. "A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words Contest"
Choose any famous painting that you don't already know the ends and outs of the story of. (i.e. no one choose the gorgeous "Lady of Shalott" :D) Your job is to take that painting, and weave a magnificent story out of it. The only catch, is that, per the title of the contest, it must be 1,000 words or less! :) It does not have to be an entire story- it could merely be a scene set in the setting of the painting you choose- I know 1,00o words is pretty small, so I'm not making you write a whole novel here! ;)
Bring out your melodramatic side! ;) This can be Anne Shirley's "Story Club" material, Jo March's "sensational tale" stories, (please nothing too sensational :P) or anything you want it to be. Since I have held two poetry contests already, I am limiting this to prose. Sorry! ;)
The Rules are as follows:

1. Your story must be 1,000 words or less (Believe me, this is difficult to use only 1,000! :)

2. One entry per person


3. You will send your entry in a Word document file (or copied and pasted into an email) along with an image or link to the painting that inspired it to me at inkpencontestsubmissions@gmail.com
-

4. You may use any famous painting you wish, but I would recommend using one from this post, or else another painting by John Williams Waterhouse- they are so.....Amazing. :)

5. The deadline for this contest will be a month from now- June 5th, 2011


6. Have fun! Be creative! :)

The prize will be announced at a later date- please enter and please post about this on your blog or website or Facebook or whatever it is you do online! ;) I'd love to have lots of entries!
Extremely excited,
Rachel

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds AWESOME! I'll have to get thinking! <3

Always Narnian said...

:) sounds so fun :) I may be able to do this! :D