Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Puddleby Lane: The newest novel

I have begun a new story in earnest. No, it's not Riverly Manor. I think I've given that up for lost at the moment. I felt like writing something brand new that didn't need revision before I went on. I got my fill of that, temporarily, at least, with the Seasonings. No, this is a new, different book. I shan't tell you much about it right now, as I've only written two-and-a-half chapters, but I will say that it is called Puddleby Lane and is set in the Depression Era. The heroine's name is Cora Lesley, and I imagine her to look something like this:


(Thanks, Carrie for putting this picture on your blog sidebar! :D)

What do you think of that name for her? :)

I was originally going to name the novel "Coddleston Pie" (as in the riddle in Winnie-the-Pooh) but I deemed it best not to run into any copyright issues with that! :P (And yes, there would be a reason for the name. I'm not crazy! :D)

I am trying to get a big enough chunk of it done before I start posting it with my critique group. Hopefully my inspiration won't dry up before then! :) That's why I'm not letting a lot of people read it, or telling much about it. What would my reputation as an Authoress be if I kept giving up on projects? ;) I am trying to keep this one going, because I wrote down a whole plot-line for it. There are varying opinions on the subject of whether to write out the plan for your story or not. Some people say it stilts inspiration. But I felt that a strong pre-decided plot was missing in my Seasonings so I thought I'd give it a whirl today. :) I've already found out some interesting things about the Great Depression era from doing some research. The Roaring Twenties were something else! :P
Any new ideas popping up in your brains? :) -Rachel

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd love to try writing a story about flappers sometime. I just need a plot idea first, LOL!

I'd also love to read an excerpt of "Puddleby Lane" sometime... but I won't pressure you too much. ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you've started work on a new story! Your heroine's name is beautiful. :-)

I can't wait to see this story in the critique group. I'm sure it will be delightful!

Carilyn said...

Cora Lesley is a great name for her! When you get a little farther along with it, we would like to see more about the story. =)

Carrie

P.S. I added the words on that picture. ;)