Sunday, October 23, 2011

A Bit of Wool-gathering ;)

When ideas float in our mind without any reflection or regard of the understanding, it is that which the French call revery, our language has scarce a name for it.  ~John Locke
I am discovering that my pen, like an artist's brush, is limited in the things it can portray. It is my firm belief that there are some things that are so achingly beautiful they cannot be put into words. There are some emotions and sensations that are entirely unwriteable, even to the best of authors. There are some things that--were it even possible--should not be put into words for fear we'd break their fragile existence. I speak out of experience--Have you ever looked upon something so gorgeous it hurt, and then tried to capture the moment in words, only to find at the end that you have put something down on paper that is but a shadow of reality, and yet the reality has conformed to the words on the page and in your memory it hangs there, but a dim reflection of what Had Been? Sometimes we try too hard to describe the indescribable. There are some thoughts that are better left "void and without form" because they are too young and tender to be real thoughts yet. I have some of those reeling around my head right now, and yet I dare not even try to write them formally, even in my journal, lest they become something quite different than they are.
Even this post seems ridiculous and abstract and not exactly what one might call Coherent. I guess there are some things that must be felt, not understood. This might be one of them. Just don't try too hard to ferret out the whys and wherefores thereof. As Matthew Cuthbert said, "Keep a little room for romance, Anne." There's no fun in knowing everything, nor in being so all-powerful with your pen that there are no secrets too grand for your comprehension. Where would be the joy in that? We'd all be stuffy know-it-alls with nothing to think or say that hadn't been thought or said yesterday. And there I go with a Mr. John Knightley quote. I'd better end here before I get any more rambly. Happy Daydreaming! :)


2 comments:

♥Katie said...

Hey! That picture is on my new mp3 player! =D

Anonymous said...

Haha, first, I saw “John Locke” and all I thought of was the character from the TV show, “Lost”. xD

But I know what you mean about not being able to put to words something “achingly beautiful”. I’ve tried, though I don’t think I do it justice! There are just some things that can’t really be described.

Also, I wanted to reply to your comment on my blog, about homosexuals. I appreciate your concern, but I think we’ll have to agree to disagree, because I couldn’t disagree with you more. I don’t see ANYTHING wrong with homosexuality. To say that it’s a sin implies that being gay is a choice someone makes, and I don’t think it’s a choice, anymore than being straight is a choice that we made.

It’s nice of you to show concern for me, but I do believe that there’s nothing wrong with homosexuality, and I don’t think anything is going to change that for me.

Hugs,
Taylor Lynn