Monday, December 31, 2012

A- Adventure


I am a great one for jumping on band-wagons, aren't I? It seems that my ideas for blogging are very seldom my own--and good reason. I don't claim to be supremely clever, and when a dashed good idea has already been created by someone who is supremely clever, I don't see a call to change it. The band-wagon I speak of this time, is the A-Z event that several authors I know (Jenny Freitag and Anne Elisabeth Stengl to begin with) have done. The general idea is that I will write a post for each letter of the alphabet running right through the course of one of my novels.
Just as Jenny chose Adamantine for her A-Z event because she was not actively working on it and therefore didn't get much time to speak of it anymore, so I have chosen The Scarlet-Gypsy Song. You've heard much of Fly Away Home, and it's almost through its last edits before I pack it off to the agents and hope they want a saucy little inspirational romance. The Scarlet-Gypsy Song hasn't got much space here for some time, and I want to remedy that as I go back through making edits and rewriting. Hence, I give you the Letter A.

A- Adventure

The maid folded her hands over her stomach and sighed. “Well if he had been the sort of father to read things to his children, you’d know all about us.”
Adelaide felt her world growing and shrinking all at once in a dizzying fashion almost as bad as the music-box. “You mean—”
“Aye. We’re all his characters. This is his story. We are all at his command, y’might say. Whatever he writes we live.”
“And we’ve stepped into it?”
“Aye. Right into the darkest days Scarlettania has ever seen.”

I'm sure it will come as no surprise to you that half a dozen children tumbling into their father's story-world are bound to have adventures of some sort. I mean really. Voice-changing panthers and traitors and villains and a country at war with its neighbor is not the sort of thing calculated to conjure up a dull game of golf. You're bound to fall in with a rough crowd or two. It only compounds the error when your father is the one supposed to be writing these "adventures" for you and he...well...slacks off in his writing for a bit and these so-called adventures start to run out of hand. Then you've got kidnappers to deal with...kidnappers and full out battle...and second kidnappers...and really third ones if you want to be picky about it.

“Adoniram—you simply can’t let Darby and Bertram go to battle—you can’t. It’s…it’s…indecent! If it was happening in London someone would call the Agency.”
             The pen stopped. The head rose. The eyes glared. “My love—it is not happening in London. There has not been a battle in the streets of the Capital since the time of your grandfather. Therefore, I would greatly appreciate your silence and a cup of tea.

Of course this certainty of adventure excites Adelaide, Bertram, Charlotte, Darby, and the babies....at first. Afterward? Well...there is no guarantee they'd be scrambling for first-row tickets...or perhaps they would. One never knows with this sort of thing. At any rate, The Scarlet-Gypsy Song has enough plot twists to furnish full-time adventure for six children. I should hope they enjoyed a moment or two of it. 

Cecily pulled Mrs. Macefield toward the tea-things and, like an automaton, began the process of making tea. What a very strange story this had become.

8 comments:

Abigail Hartman said...

I'm so tickled to read more about "The Scarlet-Gypsy Song" - it's got so much YOU in it. And the idea of children falling into their father's novel is splendid; books-within-books, as in the "Inkheart" series, tend to grab my interest. I suppose that's due to the bookishness being compounded.

I apologize for the delay on "Fly Away Home"! The past two weeks have been rather weird, what with Christmas and far too much illness in the family. However, I have every reason to believe that when I print it out and settle down, I'll whip right through it. It's That Kind of story. So don't fret!

Rachel Heffington said...

I concur with your sentiments regarding the Christmas holiday rush so never fear! *I* haven't been reading the friend's book *I* have on hold, so I certainly didn't expect you to have. :) And I've never read the Inkheart series. Are they good? *Trots off to look them up*

Emily Chapman said...

Ooh, Rachel, you have piqued my interest immensely once again. I read about it on the What's Brewing? page, and it quite excited me then, but now? Oh, I just long to read it! :)

Are you planning on trying to publish it, or is it rather put under stacks of other work at the moment? :)

Rachel Hope said...

It seems a daunting task to go all the way through the alphabet, but I really love this idea, I might try my hand at it if I had a story I wasn't truly working on, and finished.
I love the idea of your scarlet gypsy song, its so, original, and you. And though I don't know you personally I can tell. You write children characters so well from what I have read. Perhaps thats due to having younger siblings ? Anyway, I'm glad you chose this novel to write through, I love hearing about it.
blessings ~ Rachel Hope

Kendra E. Ardnek said...

Oh, now you really have me interested in this book! Kids that end up in their father's book? That's just genious - pure genious.

I'm actually planning to do an alphabet series sooner or later for one of my books.

Abigail Hartman said...

I confess, I've only read "Inkheart" and it's been several years. I remember enjoying it at the time, though, and certainly the premise is an ingenious one. Having been translated into English from the German probably had an effect on the writing itself, though I can't recall it well enough now to say positively. All in all, I think it was an interesting book, didn't take long to read, and is worth getting from the library, but I wouldn't buy my own copy.

Joy said...

I'm really glad you joined the band-wagon! (I plan on doing so soon too, Lord willing, with my novel 'The Crown of Life' which I'm currently putting on hold). Isn't this 'A-Z' idea such a capital one?

'Scarlet Gypsy Song' sounds awfully fascinating, Rachel!! From all that I've heard, I can see that it is a very ingenious and intriguing story. And a father's scribbles coming to life for his children and throwing them into the very adventures he's been spinning? That sounds soooooooo good!! I'd love to read it one of these days :).

You've definitely piqued my interest!

Jack said...

I like the plot idea!! And the snippets are wonderful!!! I am very glad you are doing this book in your A-Z challenege so I can learn more about it.