Saturday, December 15, 2012

In a nutshell...

On Goodreads, and over on my all-purpose blog, I have compiled a complete list of the books I've read (at least this far) in 2012. If you want to see the whole shebang, just click on the link. Otherwise, stick here and I'm covering the highlights of the year. :)

1.) I was introduced to Rosemary Sutcliff via The Eagle of the Ninth and found a temporary extension of Jenny while Jenny's other books are waiting to be published. ;) I continued my fascination with Sutcliff over The Silver Branch and The Lantern Bearers. Such great historical fiction! I loved those books, though I'm not much interested in "ancient" history. And that's saying something.

2.) I worked my way through Les Miserables which was an ENORMOUS book, then followed it up almost immediately by working through Henryk Sienkeiwicz's With Fire and Sword which was also an ENORMOUS book.

3.) I re-read Jane Eyre and discovered previously untouched depths of humor and satire in its pages. Who would have thought it? Jane Eyre? Comedic? Well it is.

4.) I read 3 out of 4 books in Megan Whalen Turner's The Thief series and was by turns maddened, confused, delighted, and amused before getting whiplash on the intricate plot turns at the end of each book.

5.) I wrote my first "fan-letter" to an author.

6.) I read Kathryn Stockett's The Help and realized the bar for debut novels has been suddenly raised higher. Very much higher.

7.) I read A Severe Mercy by Sheldon Vanauken and realized the depths of my own heart are so much deeper than I'd noticed before.

8.) I found Wodehouse. End of story.

9.) I read Daphne du Marier's Rebecca and was upset for a week.

10.) I had the great and noble privilege of reading 5 hitherto unpublished books written by a number of my friends including Mirriam Neal, Rachelle Rea, and Julia Erickson.

What was your year of reading, in a nutshell? :)

(Oh! In other news, Miss Dashwood's caption won by a single vote in the caption contest! Hurrah to her! May the odds ever be in your favor, my friend.)

1 comment:

Julia said...

*Eeeeeee*! There I am! At the end of the list! :D Haha!

Fun post. Who did you write a fan-letter to? I've always wanted to write one to Jan Karon, begging her to finish Dooley and Lace's story. ;)