Thursday, February 19, 2015

February's Chatterbox: Passing the Time



"February is merely as long as is needed to pass the time until March."
-Dr. J.R. Stockton
One of these days I will utilize Blogger's "schedule a post" feature and actually get Chatterbox out on time. The 19th of the month is late, even for the Queen of Tardy Posts herself. While I am already writing up one post, perhaps I will schedule March's Chatterbox. I think it is a fine idea. And then I shall feel clever when March 1st rolls around and the post shows up on your dashboards. It struck me last month that I have quite a new frequent-viewers/followers of The Inkpen Authoress blog who were unfamiliar with the general goal of Chatterbox. I realize now that including a concise description of the project in every edition might be more helpful that not. My apologies to newcomers last round: I've mended my ways.

CHATTERBOX IS A MONTHLY EVENT CREATED AND HOSTED BY ME, DESIGNED AS A QUICK DIALOGue EXERCISE. IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE STRICTLY DIALOGue, AS I ENJOY GOOD DESCRIPTION TOO, BUT CENTERING YOUR PIECE AROUND A CONVERSATION IS THE GENERAL IDEA. I ASSIGN A TOPIC (USUALLY ONE THAT CAN BE TAKEN ANY OF SEVERAL WAYS) AND IT IS YOUR JOB TO WRITE A CONVERSATION BETWEEN YOUR CHARACTERS, USING THIS PROMPT. WHEN YOU'VE POSTED YOUR PIECE ON YOUR BLOG, COME BACK HERE AND LEAVE YOUR LINK ON THE LINK-UP BELOW.

I have become notorious for surprising people with topics one would not generally think of in relation to a given month. For instance, I am sure you are expecting "romance" as the topic of February. I am an Expectations Disappointer. "But that is a friendly name...used only by those who don't know me well." (Name the quote and unending glory is yours) Last February I chose "criticism" for the assignment. This month, hearkening to the quote at the front of the post, I choose:

Passing the Time

Kudos in advance to those of you who manage to make a scene of creative dialogue! To be fair and not judge me too harshly for assigning this topic, isn't passing the time the thing for which chit-chat and small-talk was created? So don't roll your eyes and heave a hearty sigh. Get your pens out and get you to writing, Lizzy!

1 comment:

Emily Ann Putzke said...

Oh, this is a good one!! I'll try to write it/link up soon! =)